A Walk in the Park

Alright, the silence in this place is getting on my nerves !! And I am now having so much time so I am thinking maybe I should write something to break the uncomfortable silence. So yeah, now just imagine very hard that Robin is still in Kuching, and blogging from Kuching !! Just imagine.


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar
Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar
Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


My old secondary school was none other than St Thomas, and just adjacent to this majestic all boys school on the hill (which was actually the first school in Borneo) there is this really cool and nice park, called Reservoir Park. I still remember those old Physical Education Classes when our teacher would force us down to the park and asked us to jog for a few rounds. It was actually a horrible thing and by the time we got back to our class we were all sweating like pigs !! How can you expect us to continue the rest of our studies in such conditions? Sheesssshh....

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar
Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Anyway, this reservoir park is a public park, and you can find people of all ages, from babies in prams to uncles and apeks in their late years all over the place during the peak hours, which would usually be early evening, 5-6pm. I do not know why this place is such a popular place, but come to think of it, we do not have that many options, since Kuching is not exactly filled with gardens and parks. For fitness and jogging purposes, I take that Reservoir would be the most suitable choice for those living not too far away.

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar
Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar

Long long time ago I believe that people use to Kayak in the lake. I think now it is prohibited for kayaking activities, since I do not see any kayaks floating recently. There was one point when I was in my late secondary years that the waters got into such horrendeous condition, with very stagnant water and foul stench that I wonder how anyone can survive jogging even halfway around the lake !! It was air pollution literally with something decomposing in the waters. Thank goodness the entire park underwent a full on renovation and restoration not long after that, and now it has become the much loved and visited park again.


During my brief visit there one evening, for the first time in my many years in Kuching I spotted wild monkeys roaming around freely in the park. I know the monkeys live on the trees nearby, just that I have never seen them so close on the grounds before. Maybe after the full renovation the park has become a much friendlier place to be, even for non-human inhabitants.

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar
Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar
Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar
Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar

There you go, one of the famous parks in Kuching. It is famous for the boys and girls to meet up and make out, a place for apeks to walk aimlessly staring at young girls, a place for serious fitness obsessed freaks to run rounds and rounds non-stop, and also the place for an ordinary boy like me to just have a plain walk to find peace for the much troubled mind at times.

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar
Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar

Anyone of you visited the Reservoir Park recently?

posted by Robin Wong @ 2:49 AM,

4 Comments:

At May 20, 2007 at 10:44 PM, Blogger nasrie z said...

monkeys??? at reservoir park??
geez... :P

 
At May 20, 2007 at 11:47 PM, Blogger Robin Wong said...

hey nazrie,
apparently, yeah !! How cool is that?

 
At May 23, 2007 at 8:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Robin! I posted the latest entry and THEN I saw yours. HAHAHAH! Great pics by the way. Kuching misses you! I haven't been to the reservoir park for ages! Never seen monkeys there too. Hmmm.

 
At May 30, 2007 at 6:48 PM, Blogger Ian said...

wow, been a long time since i came here..monkeys came out that day cos a friend came by to take photos...haha :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home